Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Flower by any other name?

My Mom always had flowers in our yard and her garden.  I also plant a lot of flowers.  I like sunflowers, zinnias, daffodils, marigolds, iris's and any kind of day lily.  I try to grow roses but never seem to do a very good job with them. 

One spring my daughter-in-law dug up some daffodils for me.  This bushy green plant came up beside the daffodils.  And then I thought it had died.  A couple of weeks later a stem came up.  Just a tall skinny stem with no leaves. The strangest looking thing.  Next came the pretty pink flowers.  I ask some of my neighbors if they knew the name of this flower.  Someone told me it was called Naked Lady.  Well I wasn't too impressed with the name, but sort of understood why it could be called that.  My daughter-in-law said someone told her it was called a Mystery Flower.  That makes sense too.  Then the other day my sister, Fern, said it is called the Resurrection Flower.  So many names.  Do you know the name if this flower?  Would love to hear from you if you do.




       My daughter-in-law has a friend who took one look at this flower and said "Amaryllis".  Thank you Laura. But it is also know as "naked lady". I didn't think it was an Amaryllis at first, so I did some research on the net. The Amaryllis comes in many colors and the petals in different shapes.  Mystery solved after ten or so years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment