Monday, December 19, 2011

Fruitcake




One of my favorite cookbooks is a church cookbook from the Greenbrier Baptist Church located in my hometown of Haysi, Virginia.  My sister, Fern, thoughtful wonderful sister that she is, remembers to get me a new one when they are available. I always go to this cookbook first when I need a recipe.

Around Thanksgiving I make a fruitcake from a recipe in this cookbook. I first had a taste of a homemade fruitcake at Ferns house years ago. Never liked fruitcke from the grocery store so was really surprised that I liked Fern's fruitcake.  It is an original recipe from Lockie Cumbo, who happens to me Fern's mother-in-law. Lockie also makes a great red velvet cake. 

Back to the fruitcake, I make it about two weeks before Thanksgiving.  After I take it out of the oven, I let the fruitcake cool for about 20 minutes.  Cut into about 6 sections. Wrap with aluminum foil and place in gallon freezer bags. Don't know why but the fruitcake always tastes better after it has been frozen for about two weeks. Freeze, take out one as needed.


When I make the fruitcake now I change the recipe a little. I use real butter, my farm fresh eggs, white whole wheat flour, with half dried cherries and half raisins for the box of golden raisins.  I get the Jumbo Raisin Medley from Traders Joe's.  Trader Joe's is the best place to get your dried fruit.  We try to make a trip to Cincinnati once a month for my supplies.  

 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm....might have to try this recipe. Someone gave us several packages of the fruit they use for these cakes. We have not used them yet, not big fruit cake fans. LOL I'll have to tell Alysha about your recipe, she enjoys baking cakes.

    ReplyDelete