Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quilts

Quilting is important to me.

Growing up there never seemed to be enough money to go around, but
there was always food on the table and we always had plenty of quilts for
warmth. Some of my fondest memories from my childhood days include
watching my Mom make quilts.

Throughout the year she would save every little piece of material and
any worn out clothing that could not be worn again.  Patchwork quilts
were often made from used scraps of old worn clothing and were cut
to fit together to form a block. Mom would be in the living room with
her huge pillowcase full of scraps of material figuring out a design for
our next family quilt.

Mom would use a Sears and Roebuck Catalog to draw on a quilt pattern.
I guess she was one of the early recyclers. Anyway she would use this to
cut out pattern pieces. That is why it is called piecing a quilt, piecing the
scraps together as though she was putting together a jig-saw puzzle. Mom
would hand sew all her pieces together and most of the time she would tie
the top with red or orange yarn. 

Quilting is passed down through generations in most families.  My grandmother
quilted, my mother quilted and I even try my hand at quilting. Quilting is a way
of expressing your artistic abilities with one-of-a-kind designs and patterns,
and can also be a very relaxing hobby.

 I have made all of my grandchildren a baby quilt.  I like for my daughters to
pick out the fabric for the quilt.  So that is a very special day to go to JoAnns
Fabric to shop for our future grandchild's first quilt. I like all the colors that
they have chosen and when I look at these quilts I think about the day we
picked out the fabric.  Good memories.

Claudia's Quilt


Alex's Quilt



Clark's Quilt

  

Jett's Quilt
Joesph Quilt

1 comment: